When you’re lying in bed drifting off to sleep, do you like to feel tucked in with the reassuring weight of a heavyweight duvet upon you? Or do you prefer a breathable, lightweight duvet that gives you the freedom to drift off? Perhaps you’d actually like a feeling that’s somewhere between the two, with a medium weight duvet that’s built for warmth and comfort. Whichever way you prefer, finding a duvet that’s the right weight for you is one of the key steps for getting a better night’s sleep.
A light weight duvet will feel soft and snuggly, with no weight bearing down on your body, for a ‘cloud-like’ feeling when you’re drifting off to sleep.
- Smartfil® duvets are lightweight yet thermally efficient. They feature more layers and better airflow, offering loft and drape. We’ve combined this with a high thread count cotton cover on our Finest Luxury Cotton duvet.
- If you prefer a natural duvet filling, opt for a duvet with a higher percentage of down, such as our Goose Down Duvet. This lightweight duvet contains 60% goose down, which is extremely light and an excellent natural thermal insulator.
Beat the heat this summer with 15% off selected 4.5 tog duvets and find your perfect lightweight summer duvet!
- Heavyweight duvets give you a secure, wrapped up feeling as you drift off to sleep. If you like the comforting weight of your duvet to encase you in bed, a heavier weight duvet like our Duck Feather and Down duvet is ideal and can often be a great choice for winter.
- Natural fillings usually make the best heavy duvets, particularly those with a higher percentage of feathers.
Duvet Weight and Tog
- Many people are mistaken when they think that a duvet’s tog is a measure of its weight. This is not the case – your duvet’s tog rating is actually a measurement of the amount of warmth it provides. A higher tog number will therefore provide a warmer duvet.
- You could have a heavyweight duvet with a low tog, or a lightweight duvet with a high tog, so ensuring that you select the right tog rating is just as important as choosing the right duvet weight.
- As a rough guide, we recommend a winter duvet tog of 13.5-15, and a summer duvet tog of 4.5-6.You can find out more about tog in the sleep experts section.