If you are in your 50’s or older it’s highly likely your sleeping patterns will differ to those who are in their 30s or 40s. The change in sleep patterns can be due to a variety of things, including a reduced ability for your body to drop in temperature during the night to allow for a more comfortable sleep. There has also been research to suggest that the older you get the less amount of non-REM ‘deep sleep’ you achieve, which can lead to more disturbances during the night and the desire to nap during the day.
The Sleep Council has issued some top tips to specifically help the over 50’s to get better quality sleep. We have added a few additional sleep secrets that you may not know to help you drift off into the land of nod with ease -and stay there until the morning!
· Routine –go to bed and wake in the morning at the same time every day – set this routine and stick to it! As simple as it sounds, it helps your body to get prepared for sleep each night around bedtime
· Control cat naps – cat naps can be good but make sure you don’t have more than one 30min cat nap in a day as it can interfere with your sleeping patterns during the night
· Exercise – a brisk 30min walk three times a week will help not just with sleep but with a whole host of other body functions. Try to avoid exercising, however, too close to bedtime as it does have an awakening effect on your body.
· Cherry good – cherry juice could become your new secret weapon to getting an extra 25mins sleep a night – that’s nearly an extra 12 hours sleep a month! Researchers at Northumbria University found that regularly consuming cherry juice increases the levels of melatonin in the body – the hormone that regulates sleep.
· Daylight – exposure to natural daylight helps regulate the biological clock so by going for a walk you’ll be killing two birds with one stone
· The right environment – your bedroom should be slightly cool, dark, and with a supportive topper, the right support pillow and a high quality washable duvet or down duvet depending on your needs.
To view The Fine Bedding Company’s full luxury bedding range including luxury pillows, our climate control duvet, feather topper and many more click here.
For more tips and advice visit The Sleep Council website here.
For more information on how to choose the right bedding for you visit our Sleep Expert here.