The importance of getting a good night’s sleep goes way beyond making you feel energised or looking younger (though those benefits alone are appealing enough!). Sleep is key for memory consolidation, physical healing, enhanced mental performance and concentration, and reducing internal inflammation. Putting this into context, sleep can help you learn a new skill quicker, recover from exercise or illness, cope with stress, solve more problems in the workplace, and find the drive and motivation to achieve your goals.
Sleep deprivation can affect your
physical and metal wellbeing
The average recommendation for adults is between 7.5-9 hours per night, with children and young adults needing considerably more. This is a guide and it’s important to remember that factors such as lifestyle, stress levels, exercise and even genetics can determine how much sleep you need. The Dalai Lama sleep up to 10 hours a night professing it as the best meditation, whereas Thomas Edison reportedly only slept for 4 hours each night!
Britons are losing out on over an hour of sleep per night, averaging only 6.8 hours – meaning one whole night’s sleep missed every week.
Your bedroom is your sanctuary – a place to unwind and let go of the stresses of the day. Below are some key tips on how to create the perfect sleep environment, to optimize the factors that can mean the difference between poor or quality sleep.
- Room temperature is key, with the optimum for sleep being 17-18°C. Choosing breathable bedding will also help regulate body temperature.
- Blackout curtains are great for eliminating natural light, but don’t forget to cover electronics that emit artificial light- a key sleep disrupter.
- An old or lumpy mattress can contribute to restless sleep. If you can’t afford a new one, opt for a mattress topper for extra cushioning & comfort.
- Change your tog according to the season, whether you sleep alone or with a partner, or if you’re too hot /cold in bed.
- Decluttering your bedroom can have a powerful effect on sleep. Combine this with relaxing lavender room scents to drift off with ease.